Lighting up green for Recycle Week 2019
Taking part in the Recycle Week annual campaign, Charpak aims to help motivate more people to recycle more, and better. We are lighting our building up green to show our support for Recycle Week and show we take recycling seriously. The lights are on from dusk till dawn, and using low power LED lights they use little power and electricity.
What and how we recycle really matters. Recycling an item rather than throwing it in the general rubbish bin means that it will be dealt with in the most environmentally friendly way, keeping materials in use and out of the environment.
Charpak are proud of the leaps and bounds the company is making – in the last 12 months we have:
- Recycled and recovered over 99.2% of our waste in our target to be a zero waste company.
- Manufactured over 70% of our packaging from recycled materials.
- Used up to 90% recycled materials within our packaging products.
- Designed and developed new packaging made from recycled plastics which can be reused, and recycled, many times over.
- Replaced hard to recycle packaging with packaging that can be widely recycled by consumers.
- Launched the UK’s the UK’s first localised circular economy with the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Waste Partnership. Over 8 million pieces of packaging have been made from Cambridgeshire’s collected, sorted and recycled plastics. This not only prevents new plastic from being made, over 200 refuse trucks have been saved from UK landfill by reusing the kerbside collected household recycled material.
- Welcomed school and community groups to help teach them about how to make the right choices in packaging, what to look for, and how to recycle right.
- Designed a new packaging product on sale in Waitrose & Partners which removes over 14 tonnes of plastic from the UK every year. We hope more supermarkets will follow their lead.
Nearly a third of people say environmental concerns is their main reason for recycling more. We hope lighting up our building green shows we take recycling seriously and encourages more people to think about how to recycle more, and recycle right.
As a Founding Member of The UK Plastics Pact Charpak are involved in this unique collaboration which brings retailers, manufacturers, packaging manufacturers, NGOs and more UK and global businesses together to address fundamental changes about how we design, use, reuse and reprocess plastic to prevent plastic waste. Striving to make a difference we need consumers and residents involved too.
As part of our commitments to Remove, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle more materials to protect our precious environment we have been recognised as UK SME of the Year 2018, and are Finalists in Innovation of the Year 2019. There’s lots more to come from Charpak in our mission to:
- Live within the community, sustainably
- Be a circular economy driven business, with sustainability at its heart
Our aim is to encourage Cambridgeshire residents – and residents throughout the UK – to recycle more and focus on getting recycling right during Recycle Week.
Join us this #Recycle Week because recycling more, and recycling right is #InOurOwnHands