Our Environmental Commitments
Corporate responsibility and sustainability of packaging is core to our business. Charpak is committed to delivering a SMART, realistic, co-ordinated and collaborative sustainable solution for our clients.
Our commitment to environmental sustainability is demonstrated by our launch of the UK’s first Localised Circular Economy in 2019. The Cambridgeshire-wide programme uses up to 90% recycled plastic to manufacture products, then at end of the product’s use the packaging is recycled, super-cleaned and re-manufactured into new packaging products.
You can view our Environmental Policy here
- Over 95% of Charpak packaging is manufactured from either a recycled grade plastic, or is fully reusable or recyclable.
- Charpak packaging contains a minimum of 70% recycled content and up to 90% recyclate:
50% PCW (post consumer waste) and up to 40% PIW (post industrial waste).
- Charpak’s PET packaging contains 50% PCW (post consumer waste) and up to 40% PIW (post industrial waste).
- We mark all Charpak manufactured products* with the correct recycle / material code to aid recycling.
* where clients allow.
Charpak is committed to minimising the environmental impact of plastics and reducing plastics pollution. As founder members of the UK Plastics Pact we balance the requirements of our clients’ technical and functional requirements of their packaging for in-process manufacturing, transportation and at end of use to minimise waste.
Downgauging and lightweighting existing packaging, or replacing non-recyclable packaging materials with recyclable (and recycled) packaging is an integral part of the in-house design process.
- As part of Charpak’s commitment to sustainability the company’s skeletal waste is granulated and taken for cleaning, re-processing and re-manufacture into new plastic sheets ready for manufacturing into new products or new packaging.
- The company targets a zero waste policy. In 2018 over 99.2% of Charpak’s waste was recycled or reused.
- Charpak is a PVC FREE company.