Our Environmental Commitments
Corporate responsibility and sustainability of packaging is core to our business. Charpak is committed to delivering a SMART, realistic, co-ordinated and collaborative sustainable solution for our clients.
Our commitment to environmental sustainability is demonstrated by our launch of the UK’s first Localised Circular Economy in 2019. The Cambridgeshire-wide programme uses up to 90% recycled plastic to manufacture products, then at end of the product’s use the packaging is recycled, super-cleaned and re-manufactured into new packaging products.
You can view our Environmental Policy here
- Over 95% of Charpak packaging is manufactured from either a recycled grade plastic, or is fully reusable or recyclable.
- Charpak packaging contains a minimum of 70% recycled content and up to 90% recyclate:
50% PCW (post consumer waste) and up to 40% PIW (post industrial waste).
- Charpak’s PET packaging contains 50% PCW (post consumer waste) and up to 40% PIW (post industrial waste).
- We mark all Charpak manufactured products* with the correct recycle / material code to aid recycling.
* where clients allow.
We are Serious about Sustainability, minimising environmental impact and reducing plastics pollution. As founder members of The UK Plastics Pact we balance the requirements of our clients’ technical and functional requirements of their packaging for in-process manufacturing, transportation and at end of use to minimise waste and to create a circular economy.
SUSTAINABLE PACKAGING DOESN’T NEED TO COST THE EARTH
2020: With our supply chain partners we have developed a new jazz solution re-using recycled coloured plastics, made from 86% recycled material, which can re-use black plastic packaging.
2019: Targeting zero waste we launched the UK’s first Localised Circular Economy in 2019 collaborating across the waste management, recycling and reprocessing and packaging supply chain.
2019: The Charpak designed Twist-Loc Tub protects FMCG ambient and chilled food products. The unique design removes micro-plastics, uses less material and is 100% widely recyclable. This new solution was awarded Innovation of the Year at the UK Packaging Awards in 2019.
2018: Awarded SME of the Year at the UK Packaging Awards in recognition for our developments and innovations to packaging sustainability.
2017: Highly Commended Runner Up in the UK SME Business Culture of the Year Awards
Downgauging materials to reduce packaging, lightweighting existing packaging, and replacing non-recyclable materials with recyclable (and widely recycled) packaging is an integral part of the Charpak design process.
- As part of Charpak’s commitment to sustainability the company’s skeletal waste is granulated and taken for cleaning, re-processing and re-manufacture into new plastic sheets ready for manufacturing into new products or new packaging.
- The company targets a zero waste policy. In 2017-2019 over 99.2% of Charpak’s waste was recycled or reused.
- Charpak is a PVC FREE company.